Glacier valley floor




I love exploring nature. The big, wild, grand landscapes as well as the small, hidden worlds in nooks and crannies. And I love to watch what's on the ground. When traveling, you'll often find me laying or sitting on the ground, trying to capture the beauty there with my camera. (This can give funny comments and looks from passers-by.)




I'm truly fascinated by what you can find on nature's floors. I'm flabbergasted by the idea that beneath our feet, in a small handful of soil, live millions of tiny creatures. I love it when I'm working in the soil of the garden, and worms and other creatures appear. Each of them has its own value to the fertility of the soil.




The floor of this glacier valley looks dry. But there's life, everywhere you look. I love to take photos of the structures and little plants and animals. Tiny little worlds of their own.





And I would love to capture these little worlds with threads and fabrics and papers and beads and whatnots. I did give it a go before. Here's an example: where land and sea meet.





The project I'm sharing today is a little WIP hand stitched sample, inspired by the beautiful valley of the Ried (pronounce as "Reed") glacier in Switzerland.




The glacier itself has drastically shrunk. It used to be so much bigger, which you can tell by looking at the walls of the valley, when you're there.





(The text overlay I used for this photo above, is part of one of my French antique postcards. You can find it for your own personal use in the blog post HERE on AppleApricot's Freebies.)




Wishing you a beautiful sunny day!

xx Wen


21 comments:

  1. Such beautiful piece, my dear Wen, I lov e it , and your embroidered flowers, on top of that gauze . Lovely interpretation of that wild, big nature, you have visited. Must have been amazing, seeing it in real . So sad things change so much, in the world, these years, no water, where it used to be, and too much where before was normal ..... Love and hugs, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie! And yes, it was rather awe inspiring to see so much wild beauty, especially under the glacier at the very end of the valley! Hugs xx

      Delete
  2. Wen,
    You are such a talent.....just beautiful how you captured all that beauty. Love it.
    Hugs,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Diane, that is such a sweet comment! Hugs hugs xx

      Delete
  3. Nou, zie je.....hier ben je ook!!
    Ik heb je Nederlandse blog gewoon nog nooit gezien......
    Wat een mooi tasje (??) heb je hier nagemaakt, geïnspireerd door de natuur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ja hallo hier en daar :) En dank je wel voor je lieve berichtjes!

      Delete
  4. This looks so very beautiful!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby does the same thing, we went to the botanical garden and there he was laying on the ground to get a good shot of a very small flower :) Gorgeous pictures, it is so sad the glaciers are getting smaller.
    Your stitching is just gorgeous and you have captured it nicely, your beaded bugs are too cool and such great capture of the greenery too, lovely flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can totally picture that! It does look kind of weird, someone laying on the ground for a tiny flower or creature portrait, but it is so worth the result :) Thank you for your sweet comment Connie! And yes, the thought of possibly loosing the beautiful glaciers in the future is so sad.

      Delete
  6. Those wee purple flowers are amazing. I can see why they would give you lots of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing, aren't they, one can not help but being inspired by them :)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post, and the textile piece is just gorgeous. Love all the different textures and colours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Liz :) Hugs xx

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous scenery and I love how you recreated it in your hand sewn piece. So very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! the photos and fabric collage on this post are stunning! just beautiful! Love what you have shared!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a sweet message, I love reading your comments. Hugs and happy day to you! xx Wen